Monday, January 17, 2011

I was thinking....

I just want all of you stepmoms out there to know...no matter how small you feel when it comes to your step children...you are not.  You will make an impact on their lives, and may not even realize it!

I am 27 years old.  I have 3 children of my own, and 1 step daughter.  I was at MY stepmom's house yesterday...doing laundry like we do on most Sundays.  I was on my facebook, and just kind of skimming around, and reading stories from other stepmoms...and relating.  Not only on the level of the stepmom's, but on the level of the children.  I was a stepchild...and not a very good one.  I hated my SM at first.  I was the kind of child, that was not easy for anyone to deal with.  She dealt with me though...and I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world.  I have "that" kind of BM(biomom).  Not really a mother at all.  When I got pregnant at 17, BM kicked me out, and stepmom was there to buy my daughter her first baby crib.  I don't have a relationship with my BM anymore.  We barely speak...I see stepmom every week though.  She's my support system, she's there when I need her, most of all she plays grandma to my kids.  You would think this may sound somewhat normal, for a stepmom whose been around this long...IT"S NOT.  My stepmom and biodad have been divorced for over 10 years.   My stepmom has been remarried for several years...to the man I consider stepdad.  If it weren't for these non-blood relatives...I wouldn't have any kind of parental support system, or relationship.  Even though I, and my children, and husband are not blood....they treat us like we are.  Ten years ago, I would've never though I'd have this kind of unbreakable bond with my stepmom.  But I do.  And I am so so so thankful for it.  I hope other stepmoms read this, and realize no matter how bad things are right now....there's hope in the future.  Even though you're "just the stepmom", sitting in the background...you are SOMEBODY!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post. As a SM, it's nice to know that sometimes we make a difference in children's lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome! I thought it might be inspiring to some of you ladies! I am a stepmom now as well, and hope to follow in mine's footsteps! Keep up the fight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely things you've posted about your stepmother. How sweet of you to acknowledge her presence in your life.

    Blessings to you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It wasn't always that way. I was a very difficult child, but she was always there for me..even when my own mother wasn't/isn't. I know a lot of step-moms struggle with their step kids, and just wanted them to know there's hope. Thanks for your feedback! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this! It gives me encouragement indeed!

    ReplyDelete